Monday, June 3, 2013

Cleveland's Super-MAN

I was Born and Raised in the City dubbed 'C-Town', I affectionately call it 'C-Land' but that's just me, I'm different...okaaaaaay...What geographical U.S. location am I referring to? Cleveland *motherfreakin* Ohio!

I love my town despite its many detractors and I wouldn't change my area upbringing for any town in North-South or Central America....You got it? Good!

Cleveland has numerous positive and ground-breaking moments throughout its long history...i.e.: the 19th Century (John D. Rockefeller founded Standard Oil in C-Town), 20th century (the creators of the comic book hero Superman were born in C-Land) and into this Millennium (the Cleveland Orchestra is widely regarded as one of the best in the World). But my beloved city is best known for a lot of negative occurrences, these not so positive moments are littered all over Cleveland's resume and whenever my city comes up in water-cooler conversations, these are a few low-lights that might be overheard: [in the 1970s the Cleveland River caught on fire-stemming from mass pollution; in the 80s Cleveland public officials decided to give the city a nickname 'The BIG PLUM' a slight take from New York's 'Big Apple'--needless to say that campaign spoiled after 9 months-no one likes or eats Plums so why would you nickname a city after it; in the 90s the official Rock n Roll Museum opened but if you asked a number of random people across this nation where the museum is located the last city they mention would be Cleveland); in the 2000s Lebron James went on National TV to announce he was leaving the team and city that raised and drafted him to go down to Miami and showcase his professional basketball talents on South Beach]

But just when I thought Cleveland was no longer a 'Kcool' blue collar town a Black man with a menacing hair-do, bad posture and breath, and teeth that hasn't seen a dentist's chair in 2 decades--comes along and rescues 3 girls from the basement of a house owned by a lunatic man who had these women kidnapped and trapped for over a decade. Thank You CHARLES RAMSEY, your courage is admirable and your personality has gone Viral, literally!
The Charles Ramsey Song

No comments: