Tuesday, May 22, 2012

STREET PAY PHONES

I saw something rather amazing recently, I watched a man, casually walking down a major downtown street, stop at a pay phone and pick it up. This middle-age man (who looked to be of sound body and mind) put change coins in to the phone slot, dialed a number and then started a conversation with somebody on the other end. I don't care what city you live in, across this mediocre nation we call The United States of America, but having the nerve to pick up a street pay phone in the year 2012 and attempt to use it deserves a national medal of honor or a swift smack in the face for an act of 'stupidity' I've had the great privilege of witnessing the decline of street pay phones through the years (only because I pay attention to mundane things like the quality of a city issued public phone...sad I know :-() and I can't believe any body would for one second consider a 21st Century street pay phone as an option to call a person. With the advent of cell phones, there should be no reason to pick up a street pay phone these days--have you seen a street pay phone of late? If you haven't take some time and go look at the nearest one you can find, there disgusting, most of them are littered with bullet holes, bird shit, homeless people shit, dog shit, the smell of monkey breath and a smattering of H.I.V.. There are other options people, the obvious option is to buy cell phone coverage but if you can't afford that, buy a pre-pay phone, if not that--knock on your neighbors door and politely ask to use their home phone, do something but don't ever ever ever--under any circumstances pick up a street pay phone and use it--don't even pick it up to look at and admire, just look straight ahead and walk by the phone, if u turn and look back at the pay phone it has been reported that people automatically turn to dust If a pre-paid phone is not your cup of tea, there's always Morris Code, Pigeon Delivery or my favorite, just walk to the person's house to whom your trying to call and deliver your message face to face; it might take a while (a day, week or year) but its way more safe and healthier than playing Russian-Roulette with the vitality of your life I would have to be bleeding to death before I really considered picking up a street pay phone and dialing 911, even then I still might not...I would just keep bleeding till somebody came by with their own cell phone--before they called 911 I would have them take a picture of me and Tweet it to my followers, you can never miss an opportunity to gather more social media followers p.s. I saw a street pay phone that had the phone handle split in half and it was just dangling there. If you don't know those phone handles are metal tough and are not meant to break easy but somebody went all 'HULK' and 'SMASHED' on it...it was probably a movie-goer who had just watched the Disney movie 'John Carter'

No comments: